What audience segments are advertisers interested to buy?
“Data is the new oil” has become a common expression for decision-makers and has been mentioned at several occasions. A Google search turns up more than one billion results of data – but what audience segments are advertiser interested to buy in Europe and what brands are investing in audience data? Highlights of recent surveys offers a view of how peers in their category are using data and which audience segments work well for specific advertiser categories. Publishers can also find further insights into the most sought-after data segments and the category of advertisers who are buying them.
Highlights in data market in Europe in 2016
- 34% growth in audience data spend.
- Number of campaigns using audience data have doubled.
- Fast-Moving Consumer Goods or Consumer Packed goods and Retail Brands invested in most in data targeting.
- 12% increase in audience data spend for video ads.
- Finance and Automotive were consistent top spenders.
- Driven by significant increase in Supermarkets and Home Retails Investment, Retail climbed to third rank.
Specific Audience segments
Travel & Leisure: The category peaked during summer holidays. Airlines are the biggest spenders. Spend grew rapidly, especially among the categories of Budget Airlines, Hotels and Online Booking Travel Agencies.
Electronics & computers: Spend almost doubled during end-of-year sales compared to average quarter spending. 69% spend allocated to B2B such as Professional Groups, Firmographic and B2B Software Purchase Intent.
Finance: The consistent top spending category with commercial banks in the lead. Insurance companies grew 2.5x in 2016. The Category segment preferences were: Social grades, Sociodemographic profiles, Young, Well Educated City Dwellers, Millennials, High Net Worth Individuals. Double digit demand growth in 2016 for Purchase intent, targeting in-market Financial and Real Estate Services.
Automotive: Luxury Auto grew 1.8x during year. 47% total spend on owners of specific car brands. Brands mostly targeted existing users, but Luxury brands also targeted competitors’ users in similar Luxury Class.
Retail: Increase in spend across all Retail brands, from Supermarkets, Home&Garden, Food Chains to Apparel, Home & Garden brands tripled their spend in Q4. Supermarkets & Convenience Stores invest 50% of their spend in Households with Kids.
Service & Industries: Doubled during the year. Growing number of Utility Service adopting audience data, specifically targeting Young Aspiring Homemakers and Comfortable Homeowners, Real Estate target audience: Young, Educated Urban Renters as well as High Net Worth Individuals and Wealthy Families.
Growing Markets in Europe in 2016
- The Netherlands tripled.
- Italy doubled.
- 49% growth in Germany led by Commercial Auto and Retail Brands.
- Continued localized demand, previously the campaigns and expertise were managed outside the market.
- International brands of Fast-Moving Consumer Goods or Consumer Packed Goods and Beauty & Personal Care products are dominant spenders across market.
The value of online advertising in 2016 was reported to be EUR 41,8 bln and the megatrend is that advertiser are focusing display buying to audiences and transparency, rather than content. Data will take an increasing position in the media spend.
Links to read more about selling and buying data:
Monetize your Audience
Quality segments for Advertisers
IHS / Adex Benchmark – IAB Europe survey 2016
Eyeota 2016 Annual Index Report